Protecting your copper or Stirling silver wire-wrapped jewelry is a great way to ensure that it will stand the test of time. To get the longest life out of these precious pieces, store them separately in an airtight container with anti-tarnish tabs and you can keep their sparkle for generations, ensuring the lasting beauty of these heirloom pieces!
To ensure your wire-wrapped jewelry stays in its original, pristine condition - make sure you keep it away from chlorine which can degrade all metals. Instead of harsh chemicals or abrasive scrubbers, the best way to clean any delicate pieces is with a soak bath of warm water and mild dish soap like Dawn. In most cases 15 minutes will do just fine but if necessary overnight soaking won't harm softer stones or porous gems. Just remember not to use any citrus-based liquid or detergent!
To keep your favorite jewelry pieces looking their best, use a soft toothbrush to remove debris from the crevices between wires - brushing perpendicularly to avoid trapping bristles in-between them. Toothpaste should be avoided as it tends to scratch stones! Rinse with warm water, then dry by lightly draping a cloth over the piece—never rub or scrub—before finally polishing off with a lint-free cloth for that perfect finish.
Stirling Silver Wire Wraps:
Stirling silver wire-wrapped jewelry sometimes requires an extra polish and tarnish removal. Follow these steps to remove tarnish from any Stirling silver piece:
- Gently rub the silver with a jeweler's polishing cloth.
- Line a pan with aluminum foil or grab an aluminum pie pan.
- Add 2-3 inches of boiling water to the pan.
- Add 1tsp of each: salt and baking soda until it starts to fizz.
- Add your jewelry to the pan and make sure the liquid mixture fully covers the silver.
- Leave it in the pan for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the jewelry, pat dry, then polish again with the jeweler's cloth.